Nature 1 (song)
|Album/single||Plug In Baby CD1 (2), Hullabaloo (6)|
|Alternative titles||Natural Disaster, Earthquake|
|First live performance||1997|
|Latest live performance||Unknown|
|Recorded||The Airfield, March 1999|
|Map of Your Head||<||Nature_1||>||Shine Acoustic|
Rarely played live. This song was intended to be released on Origin of Symmetry. but had been written years before, having been played at both the Budstock and Plymouth Festivals in 1997. The song was recorded at the same session as Ashamed and Yes Please, but was not issued on any Showbiz singles, even Sunburn where the other tracks surfaced. It was carried over to Origin Of Symmetry and remixed for inclusion, but was removed as the band did not want to have too many entirely guitar based songs on the album.
Six different interpretations:
- An affection for someone that has gone too far.
- A song about God, saying how he isn't even listening to what people are saying i.e. in their prayers.
- Another leader who is destroying the world, such as in Take a Bow.
- About a person who, despite his hard work to the world around him (trying to be #1), he is not acknowledged. Now he is in a rage. He now blames the world for his failure and has plots to create havoc and destroy the world around him to set things right.
- About talking to the mirror, talking to yourself. Blaming yourself for all the bad things that have happened to you. Looking at the thing you've become-old, broken, cold; and this person is made by the world around you.
- A rejection of the fashion of environmentalism ("sick of trying to please you"), personifying the Earth as being cold and uncaring; it kills people with earthquakes it cannot even feel so "why should I?" (engage in environmentalism). That the world has gone so wrong, Nature itself is a disaster.
Conforming on a Monday Too often and too cold But you aren't even listening 'cause you are just Too old to feel an earthquake Or too cool to even care But you aren't even listening So why should I? You are a natural disaster And I've wanted you too much And now I'm gonna lose I've wanted you too much And now I've gotta choose You're the cause of all this And I'm sick of trying to please you Yeah And you're gonna feel my emotions coming Yeah Because you're the world Like a broken dam you're empty And all that's left are the sticks and stones That were built by other people And it really shows But you aren't even listening Because you are just Too old to feel an earthquake Too cool to even care But you aren't even listening So why should I? You are a natural disaster And I've wanted you too much And now I'm gonna lose I've wanted you too much And now I've gotta choose You're the cause of all this And I'm sick of trying to please you Yeahhh And you're gonna feel my emotions coming Yeahhh Because you're the world