Manchester Collier 1998 (gig)
|Venue||Collier[source?] (In the City)|
|Date||13th September 1998|
|In the City||←||In the City||→||Cooperage|
Assuming that Muse didn't play another gig in Manchester on the same weekend as the In the City music festival, this was a performance for that festival. While Matthew Bellamy later indicated that the performance didn't go according to plan, Muse were one of the three selected winning artists. They refused to perform the customary winner's showcase, which Bellamy claimed was due to the band not wanting to "overdo it" by playing "for a business audience".
The festival itself acts in part as a audition for unsigned bands to potential signers. Other bands that performed that year included Cay, Coldplay, Cypress Hill and Doves, among around five hundred bands. The festival includes a conference and performances in many venues across the city. That year, around fifty venues were used. Those who participate in the festival receive wristbands and are thus able to move between these freely.
It was both this gig and the Muscle Museum EP that got Maverick and Columbia Records interested in signing Muse. The next month, Muse performed at a similar event, CMJ Music Marathon, after which they were asked to perform to Columbia representatives on Santa Monica Pier and to Maverick representatives in Hollywood.
- ↑ a b c d Martin O'Gorman. (1999-12). Showbiz Personalities. Record Collector, 132–133. Retrieved 2008-01-17. [verify]
- ↑ a b c In The City website. ITC History. Retrieved from inthecity.co.uk.
- ↑ a b c d Ronnie Kerswell. (2007-06-21). New Born Band. Rock Sound, 98. Retrieved 2007-06-21 from www.muselive.com. [verify]
- ↑ a b c d Mark Beaumont. (1999-02-20). [Article concerning Muse in NME]. New Musical Express. Retrieved 2008-02-03. [verify]
- ↑ a b c d EYEWITNESS IN MANCHESTER UPDATE (1998-09-07). Manchester Online. [verify]
- ↑ EYEWITNESS IN MANCHESTER UPDATE (1998-09-14). Manchester Online. [verify]
- ↑ a b In The City (festival). Wikipedia. Retrieved from secure.wikimedia.org.